ACADEMIC YEAR (mid-August to mid-June)
Hourly Rate: $16.04 per hour; non-exempt classification.
Work Schedule: 12-15 hours per week, hours to be arranged.
SUMMER (July – 3 weeks)
Work Schedule: 8-10 hours per week, hours to be arranged.
Training Period: Two months, with the possibility of extension.
The Cross Cultural Centers (CCC) student position of Center Specialist (CS) will provide first-line response and assistance to students and guests in the Cross Cultural Centers. The CS will play a key role in the Cross Cultural Centers, by assisting in the day-to-day operations, responding quickly and effectively to concerning situations, enforcing policies and procedures that ensure a safe environment, and presenting a positive attitude in their interactions in the Resource Centers. The CS works with the CCC staff in educating students around issues addressed in the department mission statement – challenging racism, sexism, heterosexism, and other forms of identity oppression. The CS works at the CCC front desk and will be designated to work with one of the four Student Resource Centers (Asian Pacific Islander, Chicana/o Latina/o, Pan African & Gender, and Sexuality) as assigned.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Willingness to work with an ethnically diverse and culturally pluralistic student body and staff
- Willingness to work in an environment emphasizing knowledge and values related to cross cultural issues and social justice
- Ability to work with individuals for both personal and collective good; willingness to learn about self and others
- Basic listening and referral knowledge and skills
- Ability to develop positive relationships and interactions with students and guests in the centers
- Ability to handle multiple projects
- Ability to communicate clearly with the public, both in written and spoken forms
- Basic computer skills and knowledge
Customer Service & Clerical Support
- Coordinate day-to-day operation of the Student Resource Centers.
- Open and close the Student Resource Center at designated hours; cover shifts for other CS staff as needed.
- Works with a team of CSs, Program Coordinators, and Volunteers to ensure a welcoming, safe, friendly, and educationally-engaging environment for all students and guests within the Student Resource Centers.
- Answer phones, give information, take messages, and forward calls.
- Track number of guests in Student Resource Centers, how guests utilize services, and questions/issues of guests.
- Monitor student and guest interactions in Student Resource Centers, intervene as necessary, and
Marketing & Promotion
- Participate in outreach and publicity efforts of the CCC and University-Student Union.
- Assist and collaborate with the CCC Program Coordinators with special projects as requested, including but not limited to programs and events details, mailings, and collection of data from surveys and evaluations.
- Familiarize self with CCC programs and events; attend and participate in CCC programs.
- Lead and maintain initiatives including but not limited to
- Monthly E-Newsletter,
- Super Volunteer Program,
- Passive Programming Engagement (lobby space, monthly heritage months, staff birthdays, etc.)
- College Book Exchange Program
- Is responsible for co-creating and publishing content on designated Center social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram on a daily, weekly basis.
- Assists in developing strategies to grow an audience, and build brand awareness of CCC resources, programs, and events.
- Creating and updating social media posting schedules, replying to comments, or liking tagged photos and coordinating tagging and resharing of campus partners and community.
- Encourage greater social media participation and engagement.